Thursday, July 9, 2009

Depressed Depths and Designer Shoes

I have been going through a very difficult depression of late. With everything that has been happening, I guess one could call it "normal" to go through a depression. I am trying to find a way out of it, but it is extremely difficult.

However, it does put lots of things in perspective. The superficial nature of the world for example... many women of my peer age are more concerned with the name brand on their backside or their feet, when the important things are more geared toward the heart. True, it is important that food be on the table, and clothing be in the closet; a roof over the head is essential, and where I live, transportation with air conditioning is a fundamental need. The common denominator among this is money. The cold, soulless pursuit of financial gain (in my opinion) is the antithesis of God's goodness and mercy. I don't believe that money itself is bad, or it is wrong to have it, but I do believe that it is wrong that our society puts such emphasis on it that the most fundamental ways of life are denied to those who don't possess it.

I am a firm believer that we need to focus on the "important things" in life. However, being who I am and having whatever mind-altering problems I have, I cannot see past the priority of the day.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Good to see you today. Hope things are going better. Love you.

Joy and Dennis said...

It is hard for a lot of us to see past the "todays" of our lives. You are not the only one. But every "today" turns into a "yesterday" and some of those things that worried us so much when it was a "today" don't seem to so worrisome when that "today" becomes a "yesterday." I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get so wrapped up with the little problems that you lose sight of the big picture.

Anonymous said...

So, I have been secretly stalking your blog for a while... It's been so long since we've hung out... But, I totally love you. You're brilliant and funny and true. The next time I am in Baytown, we are hanging out. :) So let it be written, so let it be done.