Monday, July 6, 2009

Independence Day

Single parenthood provides many challenges. Discipline, housekeeping, cooking etc. The "double day" is a way of life in my house. However, when petitioning for the ERA, our feminist sisters failed to take into account.... HOLIDAYS!!!!! Now, those of us who are fortunate enough to have jobs that give you federal holidays off were off on Friday, July 3rd due to the 4th being on a Saturday. To most, this would have been consiered an advantage..... for me, it was just more time that I was too tired to clean up after my children.

My health has been suffering of late, and I am convinced that I am going to shrivel up and meet my maker ten minutes after Dustin graduates from high school, and I think that would be ok as long as destiny waits long enough for my kids to be able to care for themselves. But, while those fortunate were firing up the barbecue, and warmly greeting family and friends, I was screaming "don't poop on that!" to my 5 year old as he ran through the house, naked.

I decided to invest a modest amount of money on some new furniture for my home, and in so doing made it much easier to entertain guests that come to visit, however, it is now much harder to get the kids to pick up after themselves, because I am perched in a protective stance over the new furniture, responding to every child that even attempts to pass through the livingroom with a "what do you think you are doing with that drink???? At the table, now!" I don't even want to think about my reaction to the chex mix, or PBJ.....

It is true that my home hasn't always (or ever) been the cleanest, or the freshest, but I am bound and determined to keep my $300 leather furniture nice...


Then I might be pathetic and lonely, but I will be pathetic and lonely and smell like leather!!

No comments: